Thursday, October 5, 2017

Too Short

I am on my work's SafeZone training team. We bring awareness to GLBTQ issues and train people on how to become advocates. As the maddy (mommy + daddy) of a 4 year old I realize how early gender stereotypes and binary categorizing happens. I decided to have a conversation with my kiddo to discuss how some boys are born in girls bodies and girls in boys bodies.

He seemed to understand. He also suggested that perhaps I was born in the wrong body because I look like a boy.

Me: "Buddy, why do I look like a boy?"
Him: "Because your hair doesn't stand up too high."

Logic runs thick in this one for sure. Regardless, I decided to post the exchange on social media and my aunt some time later says to me..."so your kiddo thinks your hair is too short..." This set me off. I got hooked. I did. Coming from a judgmental family I can assure you the last thing my son did was to judge that my hair is too short or too anything. He gets mad when I don't give him candy and tells me he hates me when I don't do something the right way. I don't think "judgement" is in his vocabulary, though. He's a four year old.

He has a limited scope of the world and we've done our part to constrain his view into that of a binary system. I have no doubt my son was born into the right body. I think I don't fit gender norms or stereotypes. I can't say I'm longing to become a man. I am definitely longing to become more in touch with my masculine side though.

So my hair is not too short. It will never be too anything. It will be whatever I want it to be and regardless, my son will know that I am his Maddy and will always be there for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment