A friend and I both lift for the same team and next Sunday is going to be my first competition with them. (Well actually, I was signed up for one last year in May, but bailed last minute due to unforeseen events.) There is a wide variety of skill, age, and experience on this team, which makes it a great place to train and find camaraderie.
In any case, there is a masters woman on the team that lifts a lot of weight. A LOT. I'm not really friendly with her and she strikes me as rather stand-offish. I often wonder what it is that makes her so successful. After a text discussion with my friend, we came to the conclusion that it is all about attitude. What kind of attitude though?
Hysterically, my buddy and I decided to try on different attitudes over the next couple of weeks. I got the following as texts from her:
Well needless to say, I'm not sure this is the attitude we need, to improve our lifting.
On my way to the gym yesterday I was thinking about traits in people that annoy me a little. That seems counter-productive I'm sure, however I think some of the most successful people have these traits. The conclusion I came to is that the successful people believe in themselves, endlessly. No wavering. No hesitation. No questioning. Well, if they have moments of weakness, I will never see them. Why would that be annoying though? It is important to believe in yourself. I think it is the lack of humiliation or self-depreciation. The attitude that "I am a superstar" and therefore, "you are not worthy". Cliquey, privileged, talented, able to leap tall buildings out of the womb, better than me...AH HA!! There I go, comparing myself. This is my journey and I just gave them my power and essentially told them "I am not worthy".
My journey. Mine. All mine.
So, I have a new attitude that I tried on yesterday --
I AM FUCKING AWESOME!!!
You know what? It worked. So I'm going to keep using it - for lifting, parenting, adulting, life-ing, working, friending, familying, etc.
and...I think you're FUCKING AWESOME TOO!!


No comments:
Post a Comment