Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Opportunity knocks, or it doesn't

We learned a fascinating lesson this year. What you want to happen doesn't always happen. I know that sounds like common sense, but hear me out.

We decided we were going to move to Atlanta this spring. We set up a timeline and I started looking for work. I have confidence and am good at what I do, so I didn't think it would take long. Almost immediately I landed an interview for what I thought would be the perfect job. I normally love interviews. They give me a chance to strut my stuff and learn about the people I'm talking with and the institution they are working for. I won't bore you with all the details, but they asked me about the NIH institutes and their acronyms. Seriously??? I can find that stuff on the interwebs. Not only could I not answer their questions, I also gave the wrong name for one of the acronyms. The HORROR!!

I walked away from that interview a little less confident and without a job.

Now it shouldn't have mattered as there are three major institutions of higher education down there - all of which are research intensive. There are a million research administration jobs. I should know, I applied for all of them. I also went to a professional conference and landed a van ride back to the airport with the VP for Research at one of them. She told me they were hiring and that there were tons of positions. So I sent her my resume when I got home.

Ask me how many calls I got? Crickets. Not one.

In the meantime, the wifey got a promotion at work and was fast tracked into the management program. The Universe was speaking to us.

So here we are, still in Massachusetts - shifting, growing, learning and staying in a liberal state that supports my family. 

Here's to all the new adventures that await us.

No comments:

Post a Comment