I have it in my mind that anything over 75kg is too much for me to publicly announce about myself. Yes, me weighing over 165 pounds is too much. I have limits. Where did I get this limit though? I find that I sit normally, when working out a lot, around 170-173ish. That is close to 75kg, right? It's only 8 pounds away, so dropping weight to fit in the 75kg class seems to make sense.
So here I am at 173, with two weeks to go to my weightlifting comp. I've dropped this weight before, in that amount of time, so I'm not concerned. My coach told me not to worry about making weight for this competition, though! Why? I'm sure because it adds stress to the whole thing - and this is only my second competition ever. Ok - being competitive as well, you can see from the New England Women's Weightlifting Master Records, that there is an advantage to me competing in the heavier class (age 40-44). For about 2 months, I had the 75kg record until a world class lifter, who has since aged, came in and crushed my total.
But this begs the question...what is the right weight class for me? I'm tall for an olympic lifter. The 75kg+ category is unrestricted, as it would have me competing against people who are well over 100kg. Currently I sit at 78.6 kg. I guess in the masters lifting world the Sinclair scale works to my advantage. That means the more I lift and the lighter I am, the better advantage I have.
All that aside - I still have a hang up competing in anything over 75kg, which is what I need to work through. Which is funny. I think the whole point of this competition is to lift as much weight as possible - right? Which is what I should be focusing on, I think.
I'm still sitting on the edge of a decision - dropping weight or just lifting at the weight I am.
No comments:
Post a Comment