Sunday, March 16, 2014

Struggling through an injury

Yes, it is true.  We are not superheroes.  We bleed and we break down.

I'm going to cut to the chase here.  If you have pain - pay attention and tend to your shit.

I chose to ignore my nagging achilles pain after "tweaking" my ankle while playing volleyball (under the influence of a couple of norcal margaritas).  I don't suggest that anyone train while under the influence by the way.  It was a moving party...  In any case, I digress.  That was the late summer/fall of 2012.

I really thought that by limiting my jumping and running, the pain would eventually get better.  What started out as achilles pain ended up turning into heel and achilles pain.  The heel pain was very specific and felt like a wooden spike being shoved into my bone.  (This is now summer of 2013, btw.)  What changed?  1) I started lifting heavier and doing more hypertrophy training; 2) I put on weight from said hypertrophy training; 3) I started commuting by train, adding many more miles of walking to my daily routine.

Finally in Oct 2013, I got things checked out by a doctor.  Turns out there was a heel spur, a small tear in my achilles and an inflamed plantar fascia (though at the time, my symptoms weren't consistent with plantar fasciitis).  I went to PT (a shout out to Gemini Physical Therapy in Haverhill) where the achilles pain was treated.  After treatment things were better, but the heel pain remained.  My doctor told me the injury was difficult to treat and that I couldn't injure myself further.  I think as a type-A personality that was sort of a challenge.  "Could I hurt myself further?"  Of course!

It was about this time that I thought that sprint training would be an ideal addition to my training routine.  Right, because pounding on the bottom of my foot was a good idea.  Anyway, you all are probably thinking I'm the ultimate masochist by this point.  The reality is that the pain would wax and wane, as would the intensity of my work outs.

Eventually I returned to the doctor with full blown plantar fasciitis and a pissed off heel spur.  His solution to the problem was to shoot it with cortisone right then and there. Um - no thanks.  So I searched out a second opinion...which landed me in a boot and out of working out for 6 weeks.

So, here I sit - at a crossroads and the decision is mine.

Own your injury silly.  Own it!  I have a bum heel.  That means I cannot run, nor can I jump, nor can I over-load that foot.  I let this get too out of control.  Don't let your shit get too far out of control.  Pay attention.  Pain tells you something.  Don't ignore it.     

No comments:

Post a Comment